Recently returned to public life from a ten year self-imposed exile, in her most radical book to date, THE POLITICS OF STUPID: The Cure for Obesity, Susan Powter challenges food manufacturers, governments, fitness and diet industries in order to teach women how to find the motivation to alter their lifestyles in search of well being and weight loss.
An internationally-known brand name, New York Times best-selling author, and the woman dubbed “the Lenny Bruce of Wellness” by Shape magazine, Susan Powter’s “Stop the Insanity” mantra was a self-help sensation in the 1990s. Along with her signature high energy and white, buzz cut hairstyle, her personal story of losing over l30 pounds as a single mother of two babies inspired millions and changed the diet and fitness industry forever. Now, recently returned to public life from a ten year self-imposed exile, in her most radical book to date, THE POLITICS OF STUPID: The Cure for Obesity (Atria Books; May 6, 2008; 1416585117; $14.00), Susan Powter challenges food manufacturers, governments, fitness and diet industries in order to teach women how to find the motivation to alter their lifestyles in search of well being and weight loss.
Her unique new “X-change” program works with a powerful associated website at susanpowteronline.com. Both start by asking women to change the way they think about eating and exercise: “X-change a high-fat, processed, inactive, nonthinking lifestyle habit for a far more styling (life-styling) life habit.” Forming the core concept of her new method are four words that she offers as “lifejackets in your daily living”: Consciousness, honesty, behavior, and responsibility. With this as her new mantra, Powter dares women to join her:
• To trade selflessness for selfishness and take time for themselves and their health. Just thirty minutes of regular cardio and strength training six days a week can achieve maximum results.
• To stop using excuses like childhood issues, willpower problems, baby weight gain, lack of time, or physical injuries as a reason for being unfit and overweight.
• To stop eating junk that isn’t food, and demand whole, organic, naturally low fat foods for themselves and their families.
• To start living consciously about how our bodies, our health and the condition of the planet are all connected.
• To start flexing their combined muscle for change in the $276 billion dollar food industry.
With the authoritative voice and humor that made Stop the Insanity such a tremendous hit, THE POLITICS OF STUPID is a timely manifesto, one certain to propel Susan Powter back into the public eye and start a new wellness movement. “What used to be called gossip is now called spreading the word. And as I said years ago, the most dangerous animal on earth is . . . ? A pissed-off mother. I speak with women because when a woman gets well, her friends, her community, and eventually the world gets well.”
About the Author
Susan Powter has been inspring audiences worldwide with her fitness, weight loss and life management seminars for years. She is the bestselling author of Stop the Insanity!; The Pocket Powter; Food; C’Mon America, Let’s Eat!; and Hey, Mom! I’m Hungry!
THE POLITICS OF STUPID
By Susan Powter
Published by Atria Books
Publication Date: May 6, 2008
Contact: Christine Saunders
ISBN1 4165 8511 7/ 192 Pages/Price $14