Cherry Crumb Pie…
04/14/2008 | by Susan Powter
Filed under: |
Because why not?
Spring time, pie time and there is a way to have your cake and eat it too…
Recipe: Cherry Crumb Pie
Part 1: Crust
8 oz low-fat honey graham crackers
5 tablespoons apple juice
1. Blend the graham crackers in a food processor adding the apple juice one tablespoon at a time (the crackers should turn to moist crumbs).
2. Press 3/4 of the mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of a pie pan, forming a crust.
Part 2: Filling
16 oz frozen pitted cherries
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fruit juice, sweetened apricot or cherry jam
1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat the cherries in a sauce pan on medium high heat until they are thawed and their juices have released (while stirring constantly).
3. Add the salt and the jam. Continue to stir until dissolved.
4. Sprinkle in the arrowroot and stir quickly to dissolve and to prevent lumps from forming.
5. Continue to heat and stir until the cherries start to thicken. Then remove from heat.
6. Pour the cherries into the graham cracker pie crust and cover the top of the cherry filing with the remaining graham cracker mixture.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust turns slightly brown. Then remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
8. Serve warm or chilled with a scoop of low-fat ice cream or sorbet.